PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Rules - OK?
Thread: GB Rules - OK?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 15:44
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We at GB actually love being pilots for our company. Strange as it seems - that is the way it is. Everyone at GB knows what a good deal it is and the vast majority have no desire to leave. I would be delighted if BA were doing better and I genuinely wish them well as a company. I, like many of my colleagues, have absolutely nothing to gain by becoming a BA pilot but everything to lose. I would disappear to the bottom of some vast seniority list whereas if I stay at GB the future is reasonably rosy.

I had an interesting experience recently on a flight to Alicante where a delightful BA 777 skipper travelled with us on the jump seat. We discussed allowances and he told us that on his forthcoming Buenos Airies trip he personally would get about £1,400. I highlighted the fact that the entire GB crew of 2 pilots and 7 cabin crew on our flight would get about £140 between them for their day's work (evenly distributed round the crew may I say). Therein lies the answer to BA's ills and to GB's success. Without addressing the fundamental issue of massive overpayment of their flight crews (among many other issues including waterworld) there is no viable future for BA. I do not envy you good folk at BA one penny of your allowances and wish you every success, but all this tinkering with scope clauses and the like is simply rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I am delighted to remain as the poorer relatives and am very happy with my lot. If people at GB want to become BA pilots let them go through the selection process like everyone else. I hope loads of them do so those of us who are happy at GB can work their way up the GB seniority list. Let us not spoil a perfectly good friendship by having an unwise marriage!

Best of luck to one and all at BA and GB.