PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well, it came as no surprise. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 21:28
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Well, it came as no surprise. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.

But how come it's taken a year.

My PC has a licensed copy of XP, but a while back I installed a copy of XP supplied by a young man who assured me he was licensed to distribute. I didn't believe him. However, I said that I would insist that it was registered, and he didn't seem fazed by this.

All seemed to go well, and indeed updates arrived seamlessly. A couple of nights ago - just too early for April Fools - the above message arrived. I called MS and told them the tale.

I've been offered a legal copy for $149 - With a disc! - I thought this was pretty good, but really, I've got my original XP Home and think perhaps it might be worth putting the money into W7. One of the plus marks is that it would be sooooo nice to have a pure master disc, rather than my backup HP one with SP1 and LOADS of HP junk on it.

Furthermore...and this is a big furthermore, the backup disc scraps all my logical drives.

There are no more Beta W7 copies available, but I'm reticent to pay for one of the early offerings of any new OS. Equally, if I don't get a move on, I'll not get to grips with anything within my lifetime.

I know that W7 has impressed some of you, what's the best course of action and (real)expected wait times etc..