PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need someones brutally honest opinion
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 19:58
Frankly Mr Shankly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, no I don't think you're too old, in fact your circumstances mirrored mine at that age, that's when I came into commercial aviation. However that was then, now is quite possibly a whole new ball game with this bugger of a recession.

However, as I'm sure you don't need to be told, timing is important. Right now it's pants. But that's not to say start training slowly, maybe not right now though. But there's the gamble as Jim Bowen would say, and right now there's not even a sniff of winning the speedboat or caravan (I'm sure they were the only prizes Bully had to offer).

As these times are fairly unchartered waters, who's to say what demand for pilots will be in a few years time, and how many of us will also be looking for work then?!

One thing I believe (note the word "believe" folks, i.e my opinion, nothing more, nothing less) is that there will be a reasonable number of fairly experienced drivers on the market in a couple of years, so you'll be in the hat with them for them there pesky job things.

I know it ain't great reading, but I think people are underestimating the effect these horrible economic conditions will have on currently gainfully employed drivers, me being one of them. At our place we are on reduced working, with an uncertain immediate future so it IS happening big style out there. However there's a nice big thread re: the economy and I don't want to start another on your thread.

So in normal times I'd say no, not too old, right now though, God only knows, and he's about the only one who does.

Food for thought anyway, good luck with it all though.