PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need someones brutally honest opinion
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 19:08
Hanky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil I need someones brutally honest opinion

Im 31... have a PPL, work in an office as i.t. support, with standard GCSE grades and currently studying GCSE physics in an evening class. I require another 100 odd P1 hours in order to commence a CPL course. My question is..... Am I getting too old to commence a CPL or ATPL course, if at the end, my age will work against me? I did read the 'guild of airmen and navigators' website which gave good advice, but it suggested maybe one or two of the major carriers (out of 7 or 8 they sent a questionnaire too) accept newly qualified pilots over 30 (the average age appears to be around max 28).
And with regards to paying for the training, I spoke to HSBC last week, and they have recently pulled the commercial pilot/ professional studies loan..... due to lack of interest ! D'oh ! (kicks oneself for not enquiring earlier).
Perhaps I am having a mid life crisis..... anyway, I have an opticians appt this week and then will see if this is sufficient for a class one medical.
I do believe that ones own attitude counts for a lot, I know I might sound a bit pessimistic, but just trying to be realistic.
any suggestions/ help appreciated. Many thanks