PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 18:13
Roger Sofarover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ADFS

You need to move on chap. As Wizofoz says, there were a couple of thousand applications for a hundred jobs at most. It is impossible to interview everybody, and everybody that was turned down was turned down for a reason. Too old, too young, not enough hours, won't fit in. don't like the academic qualifications, don't like the personality blah blah.

It is tough. The chances are you still peer through the eyes of an 18 year old (that's how I feel), and then bugger! you look in the mirror, 'still not to bad you think', but the ones paying the money see it different. They are the ones investing the money. Imagine you were investing the money, what would you do? Lets say you have £15 K to spend on a BMW. You pick the model, and you have two examples to choose from. One is 15 years old, and one is 6 years old, both at the same price, both will do the job equally as well. Which one will you put your money on?

In a way you are lucky you got the letter from EK. They told you why, which allows you to rethink. A uk airline would have simply said, 'no thanks', leaving you thinking 'Why'.

I don't know either you or Wizofoz, but I feel you are shooting him down because you don't like what he says. I believe he has just been honest with you. You have been very laudatory to those that gave you a hug, and not so with those that expressed a different view, yet you came on here to canvas opinions. If you came on here for a hug, you should have just asked for one.

Bye the way, if you are concerned about discrimination then spare a thought for the young girls that go cabin crew with EK. I don't know current rules, but my understanding of a few years back (I am sure someone here can give the correct gen), was that girls had to be single, had to be good looking and if they did not get into supervision or training, they were on the scrap heap in their late 20's. Now that's discrimination, but when it's your train set and you are not in the legislation minefield of the EU, you can do what you like.

Last edited by Roger Sofarover; 1st Apr 2009 at 18:23.