PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 17:46
Amelia Earhart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh & Manchester routes

• Aer Arann - They recently declared a desire to retrench and wet lease their aircraft. Probably not.
  • Flybe - On the faceof it they have just pulled out of the LDY-GLA route but in actual fact this was Logainair operating as Flybe. Flybe themselves did operate from Derry in the 1990s but withdrew and have since shown no interest in the airport concentrating instead on Belfast. Still possible though I suppose.
  • Ryanair - They currently fly from all three cities and have stated that they would look at expanding from Derry once the runway extension was complete. Also passenger numbers from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh and Manchester would indicate that a route from LDY could be viable for Ryanair. On the otherhand they also stated that future expansion from the city would be continental Europe routes (and have since announced Alicante). Definite possibility though.
  • Loganair / British Airways - They have pulled the Glasgow International route after 30 years despite no drop in numbers following the arrival of Ryanair Prestwick route. Not a chance.
  • BMI / BMIbaby - The operate out of both Glasgow and Manchester. There was previous speculation that they would come to LDY but this amounted to nothing. Long shot.
  • Aer Lingus - Busy building base at BFS. Not a chance.
  • Easyjet - Again there was speculation that they might come to LDY but on some route like Luton. Despite their rivalry with Ryanair I still think given their commitment to BFS that it is unlikely. Long shot.
Have I left anyone out?

Of course it is just Derry Journal speculation that we've all heard before. But on the other hand there is a new manager looking to make his mark so fingers crossed .......

Last edited by Amelia Earhart; 1st Apr 2009 at 17:48. Reason: Typo