PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 fire handle - reset in flight?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 15:27
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies

My apologies here, for getting "high blood pressure" with some of you, when I am facing the sad state of oversimplification by "modern initial training and system knowledge" as some of you receive with your airlines. Although a line pilot, I got involved with all phases of pilot training, from aircraft systems or performance, to CPT procedures, simulators and line training of both pilot and flight engineers. And I got excellent training myself, not only from PanAm, my original airline, but also with other operators for which I provided contract training in various parts of the world. When I gave an oral exam to a newly qualified on an aircraft type, I always included these "nice to know" questions even if not published, or part of our SOPs.
xxx
None of the "techniques" I mention, or discuss, are meant to deviate from your SOPs, nor were "invented" by me, but are the result of years of training and research, and comparison of procedures adopted by other airlines. The training staff of airlines often get together with other instructors within the airline, or other airlines, or even the manufacturer (Boeing for me) to improve flight safety and reliability of the airplanes we operate.
xxx
I owe my knoweldge to numerous captains and engineers that I flew with during my many years - 1969 to 2008 - that is 39 years, with airlines. All I do here is pass along to those of you who want to know, the "how and why" of airplane everyday operations, that I learned myself from experienced aircrews from many airlines and many nations. Again - none of my recommendations are against your SOPs, they are merely "techniques".
xxx
An anecdote, to give you an idea, of a situation I faced a few years ago.
xxx
An airline (aircraft type is irrelevant) had a procedure where the engine normal ground start was performed with ignition on "both A and B" systems (or ignition "1" and "2" selected together). Fine and dandy. I had learned otherwise with PanAm, where we selected one ignition system only for start. I was training the crews on contract, and had an argument with their chief instructor (in a simulator) as I "deviated from their SOP" which called for both ignition to be selected "to get a better start"... The issue was brought to the chief pilot, and got accused to deviate from SOPs. I explained my position to the chief pilot.
xxx
The selection of one or the other ignition system is aimed at troubleshooting potential system failures (failed igniters, or ignition systems) prior to a flight. Suppose you fly in turbulence, and due to ignition time limitations, you select one system for a few minutes, then the other in turn. How do you know that "the other system works properly"... If you start engines with "both ON" you would never know, would you...?
xxx
Obviously, that airline tried to avoid dispatch delays (the decision of the management, not the pilots), to be sure that the planes "go on time". Of course, if you flame-out an engine in turbulence, is not the problem of accountants, it is a pilot problem... and flight safety.
xxx
So, I made my point to the chief pilot, who agreed with me, and also agreed to let me teach the technique of "single ignition start" and.. later, their SOP was even changed to reflect that technique, which became a normal "procedure" for them.
xxx
For the last 10 years, I was a training manager, and was the final authority as to change procedures... Since my retirement, I have been replaced by CBT, DVDs and computers. I see new editions of FCTMs and other manuals reduced from 600 pages, 2 volumes, to 150 page and thin binder. Saves on weight, paper and rain forests. Even though in my rocking chair since November, I constantly receive calls for training issues or recommendations... for free. Sounds like they miss me... If you dislike my recommendations, or you claim they are conflicting with your airline's SOPs (they know better than me), just ignore my recommendations, you receive their paycheck, not me. I just try to help you all, not to become one of the aviation statistics...
xxx
Again with my apologies, and best regards -

Happy contrails