PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How NOT to become a Police pilot!
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 13:24
llamas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, FL, for an excellent summary of how this played out before the Recorder.

I think those participants who suggest that the ASU and its officers were stupid, or naive, or negligent, need to bear in mind that they dealt for upwards of a year with a person who is obviously skilled at presenting a convincing account of himself.

I'm minded of Frank Abagnale, a high-school graduate who pulled an analogous stunt in the 60's, representing himself as a PanAm pilot and riding jumpseats and sometimes left-and-right seats around the world on that airline's aircraft. He then graduated into check fraud and the like, which is how I know him.

Frank is "straight" now - Persil-scheined by the FBI, no less. I like Frank very well, and am always glad to attend one of his training seminars. But that man could sell iceboxes to Eskimoes, and I always check my wallet when I'm done talking with him.

Never underestimate the power of a persuasive personality. Perhaps the ASU needs one or two recent ex-beat-copppers knocking around the place - I doubt that this fellow would have got very far around someone like that.

llater,

llamas