PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: why Paris base is still NOT open ?
Old 1st Apr 2009, 11:28
Carmoisine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Check

You are on to a few half truths there. As unpallatable as it may be, and believe me I hate the Brookfield setup as much as anyone, the EU provides for freedom of movement and Labour. The regulations are vague enough for the likes of Ryanair to pay employees based in Europe under the Irish taxation system. While this is not in the spirit of the rules, it is not illegal. France alone have taken this unique interpretation of the rules to dictate that Easyjet, Cityjet, Vueling and now Ryanair should have French based contracts. A Euro sceptic such as myself would ponit out that this is the typical french attitude to the EU: Insist on the letter of the law when it comes to subsidies and other rules that benefit them, but when things don't go their way or rules they don't like they have a fit of Gallic pique and throw the toys out of the pram as only the French can.

MRS crews are on Irish contracts while FR have court proceedings against the French government and the legalities of imposing French contracts on their crews.

For what it's worth, I agree with the French fighting the moral inequalities of what Ryanair does, but loath the EU double standards the French adopt; either they sign up for all the rules or none of the rules, the EU should not be a la carte!