PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a poor man become a commercial airline pilot?
Old 1st Apr 2009, 09:22
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll add to the chorus of yes's. 'I started with nothing and I still have most of it.' It can be done but it takes longer and requires a lot more dedication. I know I went through it. I made a royal shambles of it but follow Redsnail's advice and you won't go wrong.

Realistically, you have to borrow money and the best way of doing that is to earn plenty of it in some job or other. Things like, relationships, social life, new clothes, holidays, cars take a poor second to flying.

One of the ironies of becoming a pilot if you don't have money is that you must become relatively successful at some other job or career in order to pay for it. Thus only the most motivated succeed. If you want good examples of that. Buy Pilot magazine for April. There is an article featuring pilots who often went from high paying jobs to low paying flying jobs.

Eventually the pay situation comes good when you get a decent airline job, most of the time.