PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bucs and Black Buck
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2009, 08:42
foldingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soddim,

Thanks for the corrections
the Vulcan did not deliver retard bombs but ballistic
As I stated the memory fades and, in my defence, I meant you to understand that I was talking theory rather than practice. I never had the 'delight' of navigating a V-bomber (took one look upstairs during a Nav School visit to Scampton and vowed to work harder to achieve a 2-seat assignment) and we, on the Bucc, always planned to deliver retards against runways from low level during my SACEUR-assigned days (defences wouldn't allow anything else). When you say that it was meant to be the mid bomb of the stick that is aimed at the target I think I had already made that point too:

QWIs usually calculate to put the middle bomb of a stick on the runway
As for BarbiesBoyfriend, let's stick to the facts rather than reduce this intellectual forum into another inter-service feud.

Finally, if you haven't read Vulcan 607 then I thoroughly recommend it and, when you have done so, go buy Rowland White's follow-up 'Phoenix Squadron' which will be published in 9 days time (Advance orders thro' a well known on-line bookseller). I am currently enjoying an advance copy of the true story of Ark Royal and its air wing and their involvement in the Guatemala/British Honduras (Belize) conflict of the early 70s.

Foldie