PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kneeboards
Thread: Kneeboards
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 18:34
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um..., I agree with you. I haven't used a whiz wheel or calculator or anything except my head for calculating things in a long time. The GPS does most of the calculation if you need it to, but all I want from it is my remaining flight time. With that, I can figure fuel and everything else without a lot of thought, and even if I don't have that, I can come up with a close-enough estimate of the remaining time from the airspeed and a quick guess at the wind. I did it that way for many years offshore, before the GPS came along, and my navigation equipment consisted of a wet compass, a watch, and an ADF tuned to a commercial onshore station to provide music. It ain't rocket science, but it does require some practice. I've seen, and tried, other systems rather than a kneeboard, including white tape on the leg, but I'm just used to a kneeboard. All it needs to do is stay on my leg and hold some blank paper, with the ability to be moved out of the way as necessary. I haven't used a prepared plan in decades, and I only pull out a chart if I'm in an area where I haven't flown before, and that doesn't happen often. Practice may not make perfect, but it does make things easier.