PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google Earth, Interesting sights
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 18:18
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIDU's bird is a cracker, just see how many more naked bodies you can find in that area. Why can't we get that definition everywhere? (My guess is that someone at GA thought they'd include some unadulterated data as a laugh.)

nacluv. Should we know what a "downwinder " is? Do I have one in the door of my motorcar? Should I treat it better?

deadpan, the size of that thing is astonishing. I found another nearby two days ago but darned if I can find it now.

The thing that has struck me so forcibly is the horrific levels of dilapidation and wrecked/sunk vessels that seem to characterise all these places. Their sheer size, impossibly inefficient looking infrastructure, dispersal, remoteness and vast scale are a chilling testament to the late Soviet threat, but to see such a massive effort laid so low is somehow depressing, though hardly unwelcome. The photos attached to some of these add another level of reality that is hard to comprehend - the photo of that assault hovercraft for instance. And the airfields covered in scores of ancient turboprops - the sharp pointy things seem few and far between, but every airfield is covered in defunct aeroplanes, helos in rows. I've so far only found half a dozen Bears and Backfires. Where are the rest of the heavyweights?

What in the name of Heaven was Mungo5's site about? Any ideas?

Keep them coming!

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 31st Mar 2009 at 18:41.