PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T5 - Conformance ( a rant)
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 16:35
Brown and Alcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightslot,

I see the CC thread has been closed but I think the last post ( we wish) from Munnyspinner did concede that sitting in a business class seat without the correct ticket would constitute fraud ( his words). I think that is an admission of guilt and his first posting on that forum did start with a confession.

I can see that he/she has stirred up a bit of a hornets nest but I think it has also raised some pretty good points.

I think the LCC's have changed the face of travel. Single class, low cost quick turnaround no frills - some would say the best thing since cheap sliced white bread. May be they have a point. If by the addition of a curtain some airlines decree that the seats are more valuable, where there is in fact little or no tangible difference, should we be surprised that one or two people want to challenge this?

I am one of the average punters who travels as frequently as money will allow but cannot afford the luxury of first or business class. I have had the priviledge of sitting next to the curtain on a couple of occasions and cannot see why there is any 'premium' attached to short haul ( less than 3 hours) flights.

Flying with BA to Madrid from Manchester ( actually it may have been a GB codeshare) I arrived into MAN on a BAe146 and left on an identical aircraft. On the first flight I sat in row 2 which was domestic and there curtain was stowed. The second flight was international and it was just behind the curtain in row 5 or 6.As far as I could see there was no difference in seat pitch. Neither flight was full and the middle seat was unoccupied next to me on both legs. As far as I could see the only difference between my flight and for those in business was a meal served in two parts. I expect their cost was twice what I paid ( perhaps more).

If I sound like the boy who says the emperor ain't wearing no strides then I think this is exactly what I am saying. Small wonder, if there is little or no product differentiation that some people will simply feel that it's right to take without asking - this doesn't make it right, just understandable!

I read Munnyspinners post with some puzzlement, is he/she correct no-one has been prosecuted for this. Shops generally have a zero tolerance approach to sholifting surely its time airlines did the same?

Should CC not check seating arrangements as A/C trim could be affected if people sit in blocked out seats - is this not true?