PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 31st Mar 2009, 15:10
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SaSSless
Can’t resist coming back re your post. I have one simple statement that I have used over many years seeing unfortunately continued failings in areas that should have been Red flagged. “Hindsight is a great leveller”
The ownership of this particular failing is as we know complex, will any one entity admit, answer NO, will lessons be learnt and improvements to the system be effective, unfortunately I suspect NO. Will the lobby of big business and company interests continue to have the influence they now have, answer YES.
I stand to be pilloried I know, but after over 40 odd years in the industry and seeing the so called advances in the legislation that supposedly was developed to protect, prevent and safe guard operation of helicopters the crew and passengers from predictable failings, we still see repeated events like the one in question.
At least when I started we knew the risk, the failings and lightly cause of a dramatic and spectacular meeting with our maker.
We did not have the illusion that the system gave a measure of protection; we had no WWW and the unfortunate risk of misinformation that could affect critical decisions. My own indicator was an Itch in by neck and it never let me down.
There are only old aviators; the bold seem to fade away.
Back into retirement.
Outhouse.

Last edited by outhouse; 31st Mar 2009 at 15:26.