PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Old Thread that was sad
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 12:25
HighHeeled-FA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsair,

I think that post says it all. I have a PPL. Completed it at 18 but up to now I don't have any passion for going all the way. Private flying is a pure hobby of mine and I get to do it really cheap. But I do love the industry which is why I trawl through most of the forums here to see anything that strikes my interest.

And your response says it all. Take the Terms and Endearment forum where some guy who at 54 is writing about his frustration as to not getting an interview with EK after getting made redundant. About to lose house everything (so he says). Yet the majority of replies are the usual "the industry owes you nothing", "live with it, you're not the only one" etc.

Yes, correct! but you would think there would be more support for/from one of your fellow airmen. But there isn't.

Wannabees coming here frustrated at the lack of jobs, feeling guilt about the fact that their parents are now broke. Any support? Yeah right. All they get are things like"you should have done the research", "its your own fault for going integrated".

What I have noticed about the pilot world is that if you are ok, then sod the rest. A lot of people complain about BALPA being as useless as a chocolate fireguard. This is because its members do not speak with one voice for the reason I just mentioned.

Apart from the banking world, I doubt there is another industry as cut-throat and as unsympathetic as the commmercial pilot world.

I wouldn't be a an airline pilot even if you paid me.

Bunch of bankers.