PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 fire handle - reset in flight?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2009, 08:53
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Attn - gas chamber...

Blind execution of procedures published in QRH...
xxx
The Q in QRH means "quick" (and dirty) solving of emergencies or malfunctions which require later reading and following further notes found in expanded check-lists in AOMs. Then, there is what is taught (or used to be taught before the days of modern worthless CBT programs) in classrooms.
xxx
Such attitude "I follow QRH - that is it - no more - check list completed" lead into the disaster of ELAL 747 cargo in Amsterdam by stalling the airplane because of extension of leading edge flaps on one side of the airraft, the other wing's leading edge being disabled, "as per QRH"... which Boeing quickly corrected after the accident.
xxx
I will give you gentlemen an example. You are familiar with the Boeing engine fire procedure. The tune of the procedure is silence the bell, pull the handle, shutting down the engine, then activate a fire extinguisher. If the "red light" goes out - you stop there. If the "red light" does not go out, 30 seconds later, discharge the second fire extinguisher. Agreed...? That is the end of the QRH procedure.
xxx
The crews I trained and briefed in my classroom and simulators learned a further step, not published on any QRH. After "red light" is out 30 seconds later, test your fire detection system, light and bell, again for that engine. There is a slight possibility that your detection system burned out and got disabled by the engine fire and resulting severe damage. There might still be a raging fire there on your engine, despite the red light being "out"...
xxx
You see, in Pprune, there are student pilots, and (highly) qualified line captains, some of which are/were TRE/TRI or training managers. So "stick to your QRH" and do not use your brains. This old dog can still teach tricks you would be surprised to learn.
xxx

Happy contrails