PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 30th Mar 2009, 22:28
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the mods removed my last post, so this one will probably have a small audience too.
At the end of the day, having lived through the "era" ( I digress, but show up for my DC9 course, meet TC in departures "you have bought your allowance haven't you ?" get on aircraft to fly to AMS - plastic bags stuffed full of booze. "OK Chaps, briefing in my room, bring your bags". Bags now less full. . . phew "OK, see you in the lobby in 4hrs"
First Sim session a dream, how easy. . . next one. . . . jeez I am much too sober. ) I think that, and several hundred subsequent "night-stops" ,give me some qualification to speak.
First and foremost, one's judgement is undoubtedly impaired by alcohol.
However, and it is a BIG however, fatigue, being stupid, having an argument with your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend (or any number between 1 & 3 of the preceding) getting old, having a headcold & working for a company with a draconian attitude to "sick -days", working for a company that fails to respect the principle of /or just generally suffering from, industrial/disciplinary problems etc etc etc.
At the end of the day, there are a thousand reasons for exercising "less than optimum" judgement. . . . it's just that this one is easier than all the others for the jerks that regulate our lives to deal with. (or rather to deal with us because of )

Last edited by captplaystation; 30th Mar 2009 at 22:41.