PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2009, 20:51
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local enthusiasts are not being hastled in any way. Police have approached people to introduce themselves and spent time with the spotters chatting and watching aeroplanes
Must just have been me that got the third degree then. He had three pages of copious notes at the end of it and never even bothered his arse to have a look in my rucksack or accepted my offer of checking my passport. ( I was flying Ryanair so was fully documented. )

I gave him my home address in London and when further questioned I told him I was visiting family. When he insisted that I supply THOSE details, he got quite hacked off. I told him that was completely irrelevant and I wouldn't be giving out that data. as I have lived away for years. He eventually drove off and came back ten minutes later with a very bored colleague, beckoned me over and had another go at finding out where my parents live. After ten minutes of me digging in my heels, he buggered off defeated.

I was baffled though becasue if he thought there was anything dubious about me, he didn't search me, check my passport or even check to see if I was wanted which are the standard checks. ( I used to date someone who was in the Police )
I however was a little annoyed that I had managed to fill several pages in a Policeman's book. Being harangued by a large man dressed in black armed with an array of cuffs, sprays and a large stick is not the best way to spend an afternoon.

As to the armed Police, if the Terminal was being patrolled I managed to miss them in the three hours I was there on Sunday waiting to fly. It may be the case they are out of sight which is fine. Just on past experience with quieter places like SOU and LCY, the Police get VERY bored and a stop and check is still a tick in the box.

The local dog handler comes to the mound....to walk his dog.
Has done for years, used to do this behind PAAG until that was car parked over. The gentlemen who I came across are the dedicated airport unit and their remit is to investigate anyone taking an interest in aircraft.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 30th Mar 2009 at 21:25.