PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATTENTION B767/A340 CREWS!
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2001, 07:46
aluminum ovcst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad the thread has finally returned to its original purpose, more or less, after the gross digression caused by various multiple-personality and "I-like-to-call-myself-after-flight-instruments" contributors who rarely have any unbiased opinions to share. Anyway, back to the subject at hand, which is Stuka's fair warning to pilots around the world to accept any offers for a contract based in Santiago. Let's lay down some FACTS:

1. Guv's info on expenses in Santiago are quite outdated. Add 50% to the values for film, bus and football ticket, and at least that much for a meal at a decent restaurant.
RF's proposal of using relative dollars would make much more sense anyway. (The question is not about $ anyway, as following points intend to prove).

2. LanChile (and the companies in the holding) have a virtual monopoly in the local airline industry. This means that a pilot who falls in disfavor of management is most likely forced into self-exile to be able continue his/her career. Yes, there may be jobs available in Asia, Middle East, etc., but I think even the Guv must agree that anybody's first preference would be to remain in their homeland.

3. I'm not aware of the length of the contracts offered, but I can almost guarantee that no working permit will be issued. Currently about 30 Ecuadorian pilots are working contracts for Lan (through a third party) and have been issued neither residency nor work permits. They are allegedly reluctantly waved through immigration checks when they state that their work permit is "being processed". In addition, their salary was arbitrarily reduced to less than half what a local makes in a "take it or leave it" deal. Being unemployed, they didn't have much choice, I agree, but are you contract pilots out there willing to deal with THIS management scum?

4. LanChile is fully privatized since 1995, neither SAS nor CAL have any stake whatsoever. The majority shareholder is a congressman and possible future presidential candidate. You want to learn about power and economic/political leverage, you talk to this guy.

5. Conditions for pilots at Lan would be much worse if it weren't for the union. Take as an example the contract the pilots at the other companies in the holding have recently signed (basically a 0% increase over inflation in a 4 year deal). Believe me when I say that the LanChile pilot's union is the only thing that is holding this thing together. If the current management has it's way, they will be destroying the profession known as airline pilot in this country. Given the relative shortage of applicants available, they will certainly not be stimulating young people to start a carrer as a commercial pilot, either, i.e. they will end up shooting their own foot.

6. The proft sharing thing IS in court, and has for months now. However, given Lan's owner's political power, it will be years before we see any of that cash, if at all.

7. Scabbing is a MAJOR ethics issue (Re: Pete Otube's posts). Put yourself in the shoes of a career pilot at any airline, who has invested years at the company, with the hopes of upgrading to the left seat, switch to a larger, more modern fleet, attain a better standard of living, or whatever, and having those dreams betrayed by mercenaries who have no place to call home. You decide if what you're doing is morally right.