PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 30th Mar 2009, 16:15
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't worry variable load,

I fly helicopters recreationally only...

Professionally, it is a part of what I do, to imagine the worst case, and choose wording for flight manual supplements, and maintenance manuals which will convey, with zero misunderstanding, to the reader, exactly what they are to do, and when.

You'd be surprised how many pilots have some familiarity with the design standards, and misuse them as over riding guidance for flying, without truly understanding the underlying meaning.

Too often in my 30 years of flying, I have found places where the instructions mislead the pilot or maintainer, and an unsafe situation existed. I make it my prime objective to get hte words right. That's often best done by understanding them wrong first....

I am probing. If the standard requires a demonstration of a 30 minute run dry time, all other things being non-factors, it should be at least plausibly possible, of why the words in the standard? If an apparent ten or so minutes (it could take that long to get down from up high) of continued operation is not safe (I'm not saying that you're not going to scrap a transmission, just get on the surface safely), more explicit wording is appropriate in Flight Manuals. "Immediately" sounds explicit, but it's true intent is apparently not being taken seriously. (by the way, I have never read an S-92 Flight Manual - just working with what I've read here).

I'm trying to figure out what works I should use in a Flight Manual Supplement, if I mean "go down from here right now, and don't stop 'till you get there"...