PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relocation once Trained
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2009, 15:21
aerotech07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should we train ANYONE to go work for a competitor?
Ask BHD how many ex NATS atco's they have. Ask Dubai how many ex NATS Atco's they have.
Surely that's just a consequence of the open job market? If anyone, in any industry, thinks that employer B is offering them something more attractive than their current employer then why shouldn't they move?

I'd be interested to see how any bonding system would work? And how long should NATS bond trainees? 3 years? I can't see that helping; by the time people have been through college, trained and validated at a unit, and got experience that would make them attractive to another unit then we'd be cracking on 3 years anyway? 5 years? Maybe for life?! "Seeing as we trained you, as long as you wish to exercise you're ATCO license it must be with NATS" (would that even be legal?)

The biggest issue surrounding this seems to be location. And yes, people know what they are signing up for, and sign a form to say that. But it is within people's nature that they may wish to work in a certain area, and that is something NATS or any company cannot get away from. The random posting system is a big bone of contention within the company and ask any trainee and they'll tell you a story of a mental posting that made no sense. Perhaps NATS could try harder to help people end up where they want to be; if not straight out of college, further down the line (moving between units can be as hard as getting that golden posting out of Hurn). I'm not sure on the practicalities of it; and of course you will never satisfy everyone, but a happy employee is more likely to stay with you.

It often gets said in jest, but perhaps NATS should be looking at what they can do to keep people that they have spent a lot of money to train? Why do people want to go elsehwhere? Whatever the answer, I don't think bonding new recruits will make any problem go away.

PS: I knew exactly what I was signing up for when i joined this company, and nothing typed above is moaning or whingeing, just observation. I got offered a great oppurtunity and I have never regretted signing the contract.