PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Distance Learning & Ground School - Lack of Flexibility?
Old 30th Mar 2009, 12:21
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there Katal.

The thing to bear in mind is that the CAA/JAA have to strike a balance between making the course accessible and not just giving them away with a bag of crisps.

As somone who did most of my training whilst working full time, married, mortgaged and baby on the way, trust me, I know where you are coming from. Also, if you read some of my previous posts you will see I am not the greatest fan of CAA/JAR beuracracy or the content of the exams.

However, I think that in order to become CPL, it is fair and reasonable to expect a degree of uniform commitment and sacrifice. I dont think 20 week days is too harsh. In fact, compare it to other professional courses and it is a walk in the park.

Plus, time in a classroom with an approved teacher guarantees that you have recieved a minimum level and quantity of tuition. This helps give the qualification recognised credability which is essential. Just look at the devalued GCSE and A level. That is one reason why a JAR CPL is well regarded (generally).

I really am taken back that you think modular ATPLs are not flexible. Go to law school/med school/accounting school. The list goes on. Even though the exams are silly and comical themselves, you really are spoon fed through them.

Spread the time over 2 holiday years (mine was Mar-Mar) and you only loose 10 days out of your annual allocation. Easy.

If you baulk at the thought of this level of commitment, have a long hard think. You know what Im getting at.

As for your second point- the schools are very happy to let you chop and change. But as previously posted - watch your sittings don't run out! If you don't like the idea of limited sittings then, again, look at other proffessional exams and then count your lucky stars.

If it was as easy as you want it, there would be a lot more CPLs out there and it would make it EVEN harder to get a job.

EK