PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Distance Learning & Ground School - Lack of Flexibility?
Old 30th Mar 2009, 10:39
Katal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Distance Learning & Ground School - Lack of Flexibility?

Morning all,

First post so treat me gently please!

I've been researching options for the ATPL modular route and am becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of any flexibility in the distance learning/modular options.

There are two key frustrations at this stage:

1. The first issue is that of compulsory attendance at ground school. I'm confused as to why the CAA insist that you attend between 3-6 weeks (depending on the school) at a 'brush up' ground school. If a school offers an online training facility, provides online support and assistance, why oh why the need to formally attend a brush up session in person? It puts money in the hands of the school but the schools insist that it is a CAA requirement. If the online course is up to scratch and the school is confident in the quality of the course, the ongoing assessments and instructor help online - what's the issue?

With existing job and family commitments, trying to schedule up to 6 weeks holiday/unpaid leave over the next year seems a little unnecessary given the comments above.

2. The second issue is probably aimed at the schools themselves. Why is there an insistence that modular must be either 2 or 3 blocks of study/exams? True distance learning allows you to learn at your own pace. Particularly important for those with existing job and family commitments. I understand the need to complete the exams within a defined period of time, however, I just don't get the need for the ground schools/exams to be so regimented, particularly when the school offers an online course (such as CATS).

What is the real issue with allowing modular/distance learning students the ability to sit an exam every month as an example?

It feels like the industry and the governing body are so slow to change and are failing to really grasp the needs of all students. When was the last time any of the above was reviewed in light of new teaching techniques and new technology?

Sorry the first post is a moan but all comments very welcome.

Thanks,