PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 30th Mar 2009, 09:39
Old Man Rotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The entire spectrum of causes will eventually be published once all the various analyses are completed by the appropriate authorities and other stakeholders.
However the “experts” of the actual operation itself are indeed ourselves, the folk that daily flog these machines to various locations full up with all those faces that we quickly forget.

With this in mind, I can’t hold back my curiosity any longer.

Two questions have been nagging me since the altitudes and timings were first published.

1: Why would an Offshore machine select 9000 AMSL as its cruising level over the open ocean?

By convention, most offshore altitudes are in the lower levels not the higher ones, and the reason given by most experienced offshore pilots: “Because it’s along way down should something go wrong”.

Surely the wind was not the only element that made the Captain select that altitude?

Could this aircraft have been flying in or above “Known Icing Conditions”, based on the weather and temperature of the day?

2: Why did the aircraft level out and increase speed at 800 AMSL?

I can appreciate the logic of “driving” a potentially damaged MGB with raw power to keep the Nr within limits, however I can’t rationalise why the aircraft was levelled at 800 AMSL. Any fall from 800 ft will hurt.

An altitude of 50’ AMSL seems a far more survivable altitude should an uncontrollable reducing Nr become the compromising element.

These and many other variations of these questions will be asked by numerous lawyers seeking the slightest crack in all the defences.