PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 30th Mar 2009, 05:05
PilotJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not placing blame on anyone. Everyone on that aircraft had extensive training for ditching, everyone on board was dressed for ditching. Ditching with plenty of rotor rpm, under power or not, is very survivable. The co-pilot had extensive Sea King, Sikorsky S61N, time in the navy. The problem with ditching is deciding when to do it, and obviously the time is when you have control, rotor rpm and optimally an operating engine. Trying to see how far a main gear box with 0 pressure can get you is second guessing your instinct and training. When I was young and stupid, I flew one trip for Petroleum Helicopters, 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico using a single engine Long Ranger, half way back during the return trip I got a transmission chip light, training said "Land as soon as Practical" I diverted and landed on a rig not serviced by PHI, pulled and cleaned the sensor, took off and circled the rig for 10 minutes watching for a repeat. When I got back to base I caught a lot of flack for that "maneuver" and was laughed at by the more seasoned pilots. At that point I knew that single engine operations offshore was not going to be for me, nor was the cavalier attitude of the company. I got my hours and experience on other jobs, but I always followed my instincts. I just have to wonder what made them think they could get back to land with probably the most serious problem they could face, a failed MGB and the resulting deterioration of rotor rpm.