PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATTENTION B767/A340 CREWS!
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2001, 10:57
Stuka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Guvnor, pete, Dropp etc...
Right, I see I've started a bizantine discussion. To get things straight first you would have to understand my country's labor laws. Well for starters workers in any field have no rights whatsoever, all laws are disigned to favor the shareholders or owners/politicians.Anyone can come from another country and take my job, if he'll do it cheaper. However there's no chance I can get a job in UK or US as a pilot since the law does not allow it.
However due to the nature of our jobs the only people who has any leverage to negotiate in this country are pilots, doctors and people who work in the mines. Believe me I'm not against the basic laws of offer and demand. It's just that LanChile management in its paranoid crusade against any kind of organized labor movement will go to such extent as paying market wages(way above ours) for short term contracts in order to crush the current pilot union. It has paid millionare dividends to anyone who will quit the union. Do you think that a U$ 4000 a month pilot expects a 100 % increase? We just want our legal right to negotiate in order to improve our poor quality of life before we are all replaced by even cheaper pilots, who , believe me, are not being screened the way we were. It doesn't matter the background of the pilot as far as he's cheap. We know they all hold a license but... when you are going to be treated by a doctor, you don't care who he is as far as he holds license, or, would you rather check his background, experience and education?. Managers in LanChile have salaries thirteen times greater than a senior captain, and believe me, a lot more than what the guvnor and pete make, they don't have that much time to spend surfing the web. Don't you think it would be fair for us to even half what the world market pays.For your information LanChile had more profits last year than United, and they got a 30% increase, and you don't even give us the right to negotiate fair and square. I know that god created all men equal, but some are more equal than others.theythey