PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reinstalling XP Pro
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2009, 23:37
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 292 Likes on 186 Posts
From what you say it sounds like you have done a parallel installation, alongside the existing windows, especially as you have mentioned that some of the old programs are still there.

Although it seems to me that you are "missing" 5 GB, not 8 (difference between 19 and 14 GB free space), which could be accounted for by the 2nd copy of Windows (though it's a bit high for that, still).

Assuming that you haven't overwritten anything (yet), there's a reasonably good chance of recovering data, but it depends on what actually caused the failure in the first place.

Can you confirm that you left the existing partitions intact when you re-installed windows?

When you now run windows, what can you see in explorer?

Where did you have your data? If it was in My Documents, there's a good chance it is still there - although under your "old" My Documents".

Assuming you have admin rights, open up C: \Documents and Settings - do you now see more than one folder for each username, one with perhaps the PC name attached?

That's the most likely scenario if you have done a re-install over / alongside the old Windows.

Frankly, I would do a complete re-partition and re-install at this point - after recovering and backing up your data, of course!

SD