PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney article in this month's Flyer
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2009, 17:00
IanSeager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter boy
So flyer took the incredible Mooney Acclaim-S for a 1hr40min test flight, criticised the hell out of its cabin width numerous times, never tested the factory's claimed 242kts max speed (they would have got a bit less than that in a TKS equiped airframe methinks) and compare the Mooney's well time proven FIKI certified deicing with the Cirrus version. (Actually the Mooney TKS works extremely well even in bad icing, I have first hand experience.)
More like 3 hours, it was there and back. I agree that it would have been nice to fly to Spain or similar, but that wasn't possible. No, I never tested the 242 kts. I doubt it would have got there with the TKS and who in their right mind would ever fly one like that? The cabin is cramped, and even on a 1hr 40 min flight both Graham Corbin and me were uncomfortable. I freely admit that neither of us are candidates for slimmer of the year. I only mentioned that the Cirrus was the only other (SEP) factory aircraft with factory fitted FIKI TKS.

A pretty lukewarm article really - the report seemed to simply be going through the motions of a perfunctory write up rather than extolling the virtues of a superlatively engineered aviation legend with unsurpassed range, speed and economy. I think I'll be looking at a proper flight test in one of the US mags to gauge its true performance - this article was poor and did not test the aircraft in the profiles it is likely to be flown in by owners i:e long range, high altitude, 1 or 2 on board (on a business trip).
My bold - why bother with a US mag, seems that you have made up your mind already.

Originally Posted by sternone
If it comes to airplane tests there is only 1 place to look : Aviation consumer. They don't have any advertisers, so they have no reason why to put their number 1 advertiser (cirrus) above a lower paying advertiser (mooney)
I agree that Aviation Consumer is a very good magazine. I can also guarantee you that the size or value of an advertiser makes no difference to opinions/conclusions in the reviews.

I'm around on Monday and Tuesday this week, give me a call in the office if you want to discuss the Mooney and my views.

Ian