PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Air DC-10 loses part of engine on t/o Manaus
Old 29th Mar 2009, 09:44
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number 2 Engine failures on DC10

alexmcfire I do not know how many failures of the the Number 2 engine have occurred with the DC10 between the Sioux City and Manuas events, nor does it matter. By the way, engine failure does not necessarily always mean disintegration. Engine failure can take many forms from catastrophic to relatively minor component failure leading to engine shutdown. In any event, all failures are assessed individually by the operating crew who have the responsibility to determine the subsequent actions. My point is that it is easy to throw crap at the decision made by a crew. It is equally as useless to prejudge them when you are thousands of miles from the event. As I said before, this crew handled the failure in a manner which led to the safe recovery of the aircraft. They should be given credit for that. I have been part of the crew on any number of flights where we continued on less than all engines because that was considered the prudent thing to do. Fortunately, I never had to handle such a failure as happened with either the Sioux City aircraft or the Arrow Air aircraft. I have, however, had contained turbine failures and other failures leading to a shut-down. I guess we made the correct decisions and are still here to remember them.