PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 29th Mar 2009, 05:45
SLATS_EXTEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAC measurement units

Dear Frequent SLF.

I am not using the percentage wrong, I am using the units that are used in the US and am sorry I did not include those in my original post...
1 percent BAC by volume 1/100 (%) g/mL = 1 cg/mL 9.43 mg/g, 217.4 mmol/L United States

This differs from the limits that are used in the UK..
1 basis point BAC by volume 1/10,000 (‱) g/mL = 100 μg/mL 94.3 ppm, 2.17 mmol/L Britain

And yes, I have flown approaches in the past so fatigued that I when I got off the jet, I bet I couldn't walk a straight line...So, the study I cited in my original post were algorithms cited via a multi year US Air Force study that studied pilots under various levels of fatigue and colated those by testing their actions on a set of variables while simutaneosly testing individuals with various levels of alcoholic intoxication and codifying the data...That is my simple minds explanation of the study And yes, most can stand and walk in the US with a .24 BAC level...Folks have been drink driving at .38!

But, let's not take that high of a level. My point (obviously lost) is that we are prohibited from flying with a BAC of .02% here in the US. But, there are most certain accepted scheduling practices that routinely raise levels of fatigue in aircrew to an equivalency greater that .02BAC... Yet, no one cares about that, yet...

Regards,

Slats.

Last edited by SLATS_EXTEND; 29th Mar 2009 at 06:11.