PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 29th Mar 2009, 01:52
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The species is seldom reported because it's generally not known. I've hit probably a hundred birds over the past 30+ years, and I couldn't positively identify the species of any. Many of those were seagulls, but there are many species of seagulls, and I'm no ornithologist, and couldn't tell you the species of any of them alive, much less in pieces. Most of the ones I've hit were small birds, and there wasn't enough of them left to identify without doing a DNA analysis, which I'm not capable of doing. I've done a formal report on maybe 2 of those. I've always just considered it more trouble than it's worth. Getting the proper forms and getting them filled out is a major undertaking. The FAA does not make it easy, and they want a lot more information than I can give, or am willing to give. I don't know exactly what is in the database, but I have a strong feeling that it's pretty much worthless in any case, being far from accurate.