PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Pilot watches ??
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2009, 22:00
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want to tell the time any cheap digital does a splendid job

but........ digitals don't give you a trend if you are timing a 45 sec leg to a procedure turn, a large sweep second hand is essential, also white numbers on black face - as has been mentioned. And large, despite the jokes, turbulence makes it hard to read a dinkie little yuppie watch.

If you're only interested in VFR recreational flying, what's the problem ? Just get something that tells the time and forget all about making phone calls, or taking photographs, if you're seriously flying IFR I have yet to see an aeroplane that doesn't have a large clock with sweep second hand, built in right in front of you.

Don't buy something that requires you to carry the ' How to Use Manual 'around with you. KISS.

I bought my simple Seiko 30 years ago, I've just put a new battery in it. ( battery failure could be a problem I guess, but one usually gets a day or two's notice that all isn't well, it's never just stopped. )

Mind you, I did got through the 'watch' phase myself - bought a Glycine Airman once, hand only goes around once ever 24 hrs, like the Sun, so was good to keep on GMT, made it difficult to read quickly tho, 12 noon was at the bottom, in the 6 position. I soon got over it and it is ' somewhere' in my collection of rubbish around the house. KISS

This is all a repeat of a previous thread not long ago.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 28th Mar 2009 at 22:14.