PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air Accomodation
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2009, 15:45
TonyWilliams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys there is no law that says you must work in Nigeria, go back to the "safe, civilized" places you came from if there are jobs there.

And thankfully, no law that anybody has to follow your directions/suggestions, or mine for that matter. Come to Nigeria if you want to work here, and expect many/most of the things you've heard about.

For example, I'm currently going through a case of malaria. That might scare many westerners, and it should, because IT CAN KILL YOU. But, the positives are that there are first world drugs to fix you up (I feel better on day 2) and once you've been exposed, you'll build up a bit of resistance to the next case.

I found the experience less difficult than the worst flu symptoms I've had. I've heard of fellow expats being bed ridden for 3 or 4 days. Your mileage may vary, obviously. My suggestion would be don't come here if you don't have a strong predisposition to NOT getting sick in general. One pilot here quit after losing 30 pounds. He never got used to the food, and the occasion food poisoning.

Corrupt/Unsafe Nigeria is the only place you can get jobs? We must be doing something right.

Expats are working in many other 3rd world enviroments, so this isn't something that Nigeria has in particular. But, like those other places, they are employing pilots that the first world cannot.

You all come here expecting to be treated like kings because you come from the 1st world, bad news we gained our independence a long time ago. The accomodation in nearly every part of Africa cant be compared to Europe/America. re.

A bit disingenuous on your behalf. I suspect that virtually none think they will be treated like kings, any more than they are in the first world. I would imagine that are many working here that had any idea that it was a British colony before their arrival. They just want a job in their chosen profession, wherever it might be.

You're right; the accomodations cannot be compared in many cases to the first world, but certainly there are exceptions. The Sheraton in Lagos is quite nice, and a wonderful oasis for expats. There are others, too.

We all take jobs coz we need an income to support ourselves and sometimes it leads to places we wont generally find ourselves but we adapt. I would not recommend anyone to move to a new job with their families immediately, get the lay of the land first and then decide.

Well said. Of the expats I know working here, I do not know of a single one who brought their family. In Lagos, for example, the expat schools are centered around the Victoria Island, where the embassies and consulates are, and the major oil company headquarters (Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, etc). That is not near the airport, where you might be working. Plus, it's very expensive to live in Lagos in general.

All you guys shouting GET OUT GET OUT why not give constructive advise instead of negative feedback. We can all be negative but it takes a person with good intentions to offer a solution.

Whatever advise somebody would give would be quickly denounced 'cuz they don't live here.

My advise, to work here is to accept here. Just like finding a spouse; don't expect you'll be able to change anything about them. Let the Nigerians fix Nigeria. And they will. Not in a year, or ten, or maybe 100. But they will.

Last edited by TonyWilliams; 28th Mar 2009 at 18:59.