PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 28th Mar 2009, 12:48
DHC6tropics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are there multiple references in this thread to the autopilot trimming to "full nose up", and then when it disconnected the aircraft pitching up radically (uncommanded) as a result.....? (This is all prior to any possible application of power and acceleration). This makes no sense.
I don't think anyone who has read the entire thread is saying that the pitch-up could have happened before the application of power. I've tried to explain this many times now, but people don't seem to get the reasoning. So I will try one more time.

- As the speed decays, the autopilot trims nose-up to maintain altitude.
- Eventually the speed decays to the point where the stick-shaker activates.
- The autopilot automatically disengages when the stick-shaker activates leaving the plane in lot's of nose-up trim.
- This alone would not cause the plane to pitch up...in fact, further speed decay would cause it to pitch down....

However!!! A very likely scenario is that one or both pilots realized the low-speed situation at or just before stick-shaker activation and applied FIREWALL thrust as an instinctive stall recovery. With LOTS of power coming on rapidly (and the autopilot off), the aircraft would want to pitch up rapidly to maintain it's trimmed airspeed. If the pilots did not actively push against the pitch up then the plane would soon be in a very unusual attitude and eventually the stick-pusher would activate just before the stall.

Let me know if any of this scenario doesn't make sense and I will try to dig up old posts that might explain it better.