PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 28th Mar 2009, 12:01
DODGYOLDFART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much is always too much

I am sure we all know that the aviation laws regarding alcohol were not just dreamed up on a rainy afternoon by some civil servant following a long liquid lunch. In fact extensive research with both students and real airline/military pilots acting as test subjects went into measuring what a safe limit should be. Every factor that could have a bearing on the subject including fatigue levels, stress as well as quantity, metabolic rates, etc were trialed and tested. Whilst most of the research work was done in simulators there were a number of test carried out in light aircraft as far back as the 1960's. So there is not much point in arguing about the quantities of alcohol consumed or the timing of the last drink taken.

I believe that part of todays problem of public perception with drinking and flying stems (in the UK atleast) from the more relaxed atmosphere prevailing in the military environment in years gone by. From my own experiences in the 1950/60's I can remember many occasions when putting the glass down to pushing the starter on jet fighters could be measured in minutes. It was seen as being as some sort of macho thing to fly with a skin full or atleast suffering an appalling hangover from the night before. These self same pilots of course a few years later were driving our civil aircraft. Did there views on alcohol change much? I don't think so although I am sure they modified their behaviour somewhat in order to stay employed.

Now most of these old farts have gone and hopefully younger a wiser men have taken their place. So if flying it simply is best to not drink.

Cheers!!