PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stone in the kidney
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2009, 11:30
40&80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well..I have had a large deeply enbeded left kidney stone since 1974...neither the Newcastle consultant then or later the CAA or FAA or Arabic doctors were inclined to go after it.
I had henceforth trace blood in urine at every flight medical and this was acceptable or so they said...now retired from flying this is still the attitude adopted by my NHS GP...personnally I would like it fixed but hey maybe the NHS have a valid medical reason other than cost and my age.
However to tell the total truth.... one Omani national CAA doctor recently inflicted upon GF was soon involved in a pay dispute with GF.
This bloke decided to ground a number of GF pilots to prove his point and to gain his commisions he decided to insist the local hospital in my case must go after my stone via the lipotripter (smasher). This was against the hospital urologists consultants wishes but I needed my licence.
The hospital improperly medicated me and the pain was huge and the results negative...I recall the operator reading the GDN newspaper and smoking a fag as I suffered on the lipotriptor...eventually I rolled off the slab and the session ceased...I will never forget the pain.
The senior GF medical doctor returned from leave and apologised to me for what had happened and signed my medical fit to fly.
Another "very attractive GF lady Indian doctor" told me she was simply horrified that my skeleton had received such treatment at age 57 and said she would have used "other" methods....I did not ask!
The only people who got really interested in 1974 regarding my kidney stone were the loss of licence insurers whom immediately slapped restrictions on my loss of licence.
Every medical case is different and in my case to leave it well alone I cannot argue with.
So far I have managed to completed my flying career to retirement age plus 9years.