PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 28th Mar 2009, 08:15
Castle Don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly.

And a couple of points..

Why are there multiple references in this thread to the autopilot trimming to "full nose up", and then when it disconnected the aircraft pitching up radically (uncommanded) as a result.....? (This is all prior to any possible application of power and acceleration). This makes no sense.

The trim may well have been full nose up, but there is no way the autopilot will trim the aircraft to an out-of-trim position. I think a lot of people here are getting confused.

In cases where there is aircraft/flight control (yoke) reaction that occurs at AP disconnect, it is because the AP either cannot trim at the rate required, or cannot provide the amount of trim needed. ie: it is trying to trim but can't... through no fault of it's own.

And one more question....has anyone here, or anyone they know, ever experienced a tail stall (in a modern aircraft, within the past 15 years).....I seriously doubt it.

The NASA tail icing/stall research was very enlightening, and definitely required viewing for all turboprop pilots (and maybe all pilots), but I truly feel that there has been an over-emphasis in the airline training world on this phenomenon, at least in the US.