PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 21:52
Des Dimona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown the L1011 for some years in a previous life, I can say it was a great aircraft and never let us down or was compromised in any landing situations I encountered. Sure, I had a few "firm" landings, but that's part of the deal.

But the MD11 seems to be a very different animal judging by the common nature of some of the recent accidents.

Clearly, I'm no expert on this particular type, but maybe it does require a higher skillset of handling capabilities than the so called "average" pilot can demonstrate, in situations such as the most recent accident at Narita.

If it's true, then that's a real problem, because the airplane should not be certificated if it's got some handling issues that require well above average or "test pilot" skills to recover it. Whether modifications need to be made to the aircraft and / or SOP's, that's for others more qualified to judge.

That aside, one can't escape the fact that the crew on the day had only seconds to recognize, initiate and recover the situation. Very, very difficult for them.

There but for the grace of God go you and I.

RIP.

Last edited by Des Dimona; 27th Mar 2009 at 22:06.