PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 final report out 26/4/02
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2002, 15:34
Rockhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha Leader,
Like Hawkeye, I think your last post is off-topic but I am amazed that you are amazed that there's been so little fallout from Silk Air 185. Do you really believe that a significant proportion of the travelling public has anything but the vaguest notion of this accident, a crash of an airliner somewhere in SE Asia? Hell, half of them don't even know where Sumatra is and no way would they associate Silk Air with Singapore Airlines. A thriller writer would be hard-pressed to come up with the story behind the story of this accident, yet, as far as I am aware, not a single well-researched magazine article, let alone a book, has been published on it.
No, I'm afraid that all but a few outside the industry have the foggiest idea of the airliner-related incidents and accidents that so exercise us on PPrune. Do you think many people refused to fly KLM after Tenerife 1977, or Korean after Guam, or Qantas after QF1? Do people stop taking the train after seeing all the gory details of a fatal derailment or collision? Whether they admit it or not, people operate on the principle of when your number is up, your number is up.
And when all is said and done, SQ does have a good safety record, notwithstanding what Gladiator and others may say or impugn.
Sorry, I've ranted on long enough.
Rockhound