PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO
Thread: DEFO
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 16:57
Avius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting to see the operating word "SOME" appearing so much. Yes, naturally SOME pilots are better than others, whether CN, FO or SO.

The important safety criteria in aviation is whether they are "GOOD ENOUGH" to do their respective job. They appear to have passed all their checks and provided they "keep up to speed", they should continue to do just fine.

Surely, the notion that "some" SO's, that have more experience than "some" DEFO's should not come as a big surprise.

Clearly the system is not perfect. Those experienced SO's should not have to go through so many loops to become JFO and then more to become FO's.

Having that said, the new guys at the helm of the training department and the fleet management seem really to work hard to get things right and I think they are succeeding. Give it some time and I believe these issues will be resolved too.

Don't get me wrong. I feel a very high degree of sympathy for the SO's, I really do. It is just an unfortunate side of aviation, that things sometimes don't seem "fair".

Show me someone, who has been in aviation for a substantial time period and who has not experienced that they have been disadvantaged at one time or another. I don't know anyone like that. It just comes with the job. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Just keep the chin up, stay positive and you'll do just fine.