PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What next- post PPL?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 15:50
Dave1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
further training thoughts

I'll say this before anybody else does, as I'm sure a certain moderator is rubbing his hands together in glee at the chance to throw cold water at an enthusiastic young man's dreams (!), but there is no rush at the moment to complete anything after your PPL - I am in a similar boat and the best way forwards at the moment (as you have already suggested) appears to be to focus on the gentle hour building element, if as you have said your goal is to move towards a career in commercial aviation (in which the current employment market is looking a trifle on the skiny side).
Having spoken to the Bristol GS re: the ATPL course, they suggested getting around 150hrs tt before commencing any studying, this all makes sense considering the shelf life considerations and the slower pace of training due to the economic considerations.
I have no experience of how difficult it would be to hold down a full time job whilst studying for the ATP's, but from what my research has indicated so far, it would be preferable to go part time (at most) if you intend on completing the exams in the most timely fashion as there is a lot of material to get your head around - that having said, there does not appear to be much point in rushing to get them done ASAP as there are bugger all jobs around anyway.
I'm going to do some gradual structured hour building and get my NR done, improve my general skills and pray that the situation improves over the next few years, whilst vigorously investigating any opportunities overseas in a less battle damaged country.
I will certainly not be investing all of my saving in any training programmes geared towards airline positions, as we are currently screwed.
Good luck mate...I shall hand over to WWW at this point to destroy any remaining optimism !!