PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dave Cox to leave QANTAS!!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 14:16
BrissySparkyCoit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed Rim. My old avionics crew in Sydney HM had around 7 LAME's to 2 AME's plus apprentices. My current Brissy crew has 4 LAME's (one non BHM type) to 3 AME's plus 2 apprentices. So in Sydney, if one LAME away occasionally, Ratio 3:3 usual case.

BUT..... with the way things are nowadays in Brisbane Heavy, on my crew, more often than not, one LAME is on secondment overseas, another is seconded to "tech cell" or other strange position, leaving 1 on type LAME to look after 3 AME's and 2 appretices. Ratio 1:5 usual case.

Now my crew, is not a normal crew, we work a seven day, dayshift only roster (By now, BHM people MUST know who I am; hi Brent, Paul, Nikki, Rick, Bob and any onthers reading), The normal Mon-Friday crews are often running with 1 LAME to 2 or 3 AME's plus 2 apprentices plus 1 or 2 contractors. 1:6 usual case.

Some contractors are a hinderance rather than help. Add to this production meetings, safety observations and other activities which are the responsibility of the LAME, and you soon see there aint much time left for supervision. Pretty much left to the 2 or 3 AME's to hold the hands of appretices/contractors.

Yes, Sydney had an excessive LAME:AME ratio, but the present situation is opposite. Which is safer?