PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UA pilot falls foul of idiotically low UK alcohol law
Old 27th Mar 2009, 12:50
PanPanYourself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots who never drink alcohol worry me. Flying is often a stressing occupation. After a flight the stress needs to be dissipated somehow. Some of the most stressful pilots to fly with are those who really never touch a drop.
Quite frankly I am starting to lament the fact that I have to regularly leave my fate in the hands of the pilots on this forum. If it's so damn stressful that you can't handle it without drinking then you need to find yourself a new career. There are plenty of alternative ways of relieving stress that don't impair your reaction times. In aviation reacting half a second late can be the difference between life and death for you and thousands of innocent people. The large majority of aviation disasters are caused by pilot error, I would suggest all pilots keep that in mind every time they get in the cockpit. 3/4 of the drink drive limit is far too much, especially bearing in mind the more pronounced effect of alcohol at 8000ft cabin altitude. This guy should have gone to jail for reckless endangerment, full stop end of story.