PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 12:07
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, this is the best expat, commuting contract out there. However, it is important to clearly understand the commuting situation. You will be leaving the U.S. back to TYO two days prior to operation days. So, if you begin your work days on say, Saturday, you need to leave the U.S. mainland on a flight on Thursday. Both Thursday and Friday, commuting days, are still technically on your time off, which can effectively turn the guaranteed minimum 8 days off into effectively 6 days at home a month. If you are lucky to get the 10 days off consecutive, and add 2 days of "burned" vacation, you can make it 12 days consecutive. Still, they are completely clear that commuting takes place on your days off and that the 8 consecutive is all you are actually guaranteed by the contract.
The way you are making your numbers Cloud is technically correct as per the letter of the contract. In practice there is nobody here that I have heard off that has been given less than 10 consecutive days off in a row (11 for AJV) not even back at the beginning of these contracts when the rosters were a bit abusive flying cargo and passengers, constantly changing from day and night flying and still the 10 days off where given in a row. I personally haven't had a single request denied in the little over two years that I have been here and I'm one of the guys that burns my vacation days every month and then pair the end and beginning of two consecutive months to take my yearly vacation.