View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 11:04
seekayess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac Malware Info

I have recd this on another Group: could be useful to all:

Trojan.OSX.RSPlug. A through G.

Suggest the following corrections and additions to your information:

1) There is no free Mac compatible scanner for malware at F-Secure. Please remove the link.

2) There is a very good free Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard malware scanner from PC Tools called iAntiVirus that has been kept up-to-date. I highly recommend it to everyone running Leopard. You can download it here:

iAntiVirus - Free AntiVirus for Mac

3) There is also a free scanner and removal tool from macscan.securemac.com called 'DNSChangerRemovalTool'. You can download it here:

DNSChanger Trojan Horse Removal - OSX.RSPlug.A OSX/Puper

However, I would not count on it detecting every version of Trojan.OSX.RSPlug. The MacScan folks have only documented 5 of its 7 variations.

4) ClamAV is IMHO essentially worthless for detecting Mac OS X malware. My last evaluation of their malware definition list indicated that it is nearly a year and a half out-of-date.

5) Another name for Trojan.OSX.RSPlug.E is Jahvah-A. This is the name used by Sophos.

6) The malware naming system remains chaotic, despite the fact that a standardized naming convention has already been established.

7) Determining a complete list of malware for Mac has been equally chaotic and unverifiable due to the unwillingness of a few anti-malware providers to share data and malware definitions.

For example, I am only aware of a '.G' version of Trojan.OSX.RSPlug because it is listed at PCTools.com. I have been unable to find any detailed description of its specific features.

8) The term 'Anti-Virus' is now antiquated. The correct term is:

Anti-Malware

This is because viruses are now a minor portion of the plethora of dangerous computer software. Other forms of malware include Trojans, worms, bots, spyware and adware.

9) The best 3rd party Mac security information sources I have found are SANS.org and Secunia.com. Both have extremely useful email newsletters.