PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much fuel on board by law ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 09:43
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have the option of landing at destination only and losing your diversion options. Nobody cares, BUT, there is an overriding requirement not to land anywhere 'with less than Reserve Fuel' which is basically 30 minutes, and should be regarded as a minimum fuel inflight. Punishment for failure is a lot of paperwork and interview with Flight Manager. I've come close twice!

There is a misconception that when you start to lose your diversion, you must divert. Daft. I was asked last year by a copilot when we were flying on minimum flight plan fuel 'but if we burn our contingency inflight, we HAVE to divert, don't we?'. I thought to myself 'shall I spend half an hour explaining the structure of fuel reserves, or just sigh?' I sighed. It's all there in the manual waiting to be read.

I find posts like the OP a little objectionable. I don't believe sturdy Scots were 'screaming in terror'. They get all the weather up there. I have flown in diabolical turbulence. The night the Dragonair 747 scraped 3 pods at MAN was as rough as I have even known. I did 3 approaches that night, Bristol, East Mid and MAN itself (once it re-opened) coming in from exoticland. Nobody screamed. If I had, I would have got out of my seat and given 'em one, but nobody did. Then we have someone with a totally misguided preconception that is literally harebrained. Some of you are very patient.