PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 08:49
Skyjuggler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You certainly have some wise words Goldfish Jack
I would agree with you for the most part. Just one point you didn't mention while discussing training is that a maximum of two ATCO's can be trained at a time effectively. If you have 8 people in the wings waiting for training they\ve got to wait their turn. On top of that, an ATCO without a validation really isn't much use... They can't work anywhere.

Look at how many months to the SWC, and how many ATNS says they need. Then work out how many it's possible to train in a best case scenario, everybody solo at 250hrs, no consolidation and assuming that those rated ATCO's without an OJTI rating don't have to work at all for that period... I smell trouble This is also completely ignoring the fact that the new APP controllers who have just got their first validation, have 3 months real experience and are now going to be controlling enormous amounts of traffic.

The only part of your summation I disagree with is that I was a truly hppy ATC. I loved my job and my lifestlyle. I only left since my sideline business overtook my carreer. But I'm still doing something I love