PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Al Ain old airport
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 07:32
l.garey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al Ain old airport

Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates has become well known in the last few years as the venue for an international air show and air races. These take place at the "new" Al Ain Airport (AAN), but before it was built there existed an "old" Al Ain airport, just south of the town.

I explored what was left of it a couple of years ago. You could still make out the runway markers (white stones) and the lead-in arrow at one threshold (also white stones, and still visible in Google Earth). There were a few derelict buildings too.

Last year building work was encroaching on the site, and in the last few weeks the buildings have gone, and even the runway markers and the arrow.

I wonder if any of you who might have flown around there in the 1960s-1970s (or later) ever landed there. I recall that brakedwell once told me that he did not remember it, although he flew Twin Pioneers in the area. I once saw a photo of a Twin Pioneer on a medevac flight, probably at this old airport.

As this is yet another airfield under a housing estate, now is the time to try to remember.

Any takers?

Laurence

Last edited by l.garey; 27th Mar 2009 at 07:57.