PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2009, 05:25
barryhoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wau races 1940

sixiesrelic: I tried the photo of Tess Gray, (Wau races 1940), on former popular hostie at both Ansett and Taa NG, Rhoda Gray, who will be well remembered to many as "Lik Lik". Rhoda's father,Les, had a property out at "Two Mile" where Rhoda kept a horse or two, and which she was often seen riding around Lae. She also had a brother, (Bill I think), who was a jockey. I thought the 1940 timing might have been about right for her mother or an aunty. Wrong again. Lik Lik has no idea who Tess Gray was. She did however remind me that Territory airlines Ltd. began at a meeting at her dad's house in 1952. Balus 1 also notes this meeting with those present being Les Gray and wife, brother Jack Gray, brothers Vic and Jim Smith, and Ray Harris and wife. Absent were Llloyd Hurrell and Bill (Darky) Johnson. It goes on to say they put in 450 quid each except Darky, who put in 280. Things went well for a year or two, but in a business downturn, and for various other reasons, Ray Harris resigned in 1954 and went to DCA. Territory Airlines struggled for the next few years, and then enter R.D. (Junior) Buchanan, who bought the business on 1st. Jan. 1958, for 12000 pounds over two years. The rest, as they say, is history, which I'm sure many readers know very well, but I was interested to be remindered.